Anyone running 4.3 BSD on a 386 yet?

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Sun Jul 8 04:31:32 AEST 1990

cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> tr at samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
> >Anyone running 4.3 BSD on a 386 yet?  Any impressions?  Who sells
> >it?  How much is it?
>
> Not sold by anybody yet.  Rumours abound that mt.xinu is going to release
> something for the 386 (mach or BSD4.4).

Mt Xinu announced a 386 Mach at USENIX.  They're calling it "2.6" according
to the vendor-exhibit material, so I would expect that to be a version that
still has UNIX support inside the kernel.  The UNIX-outside-kernel version
O do!ksdicdicromtutgcat7.0c.coo I ho .pr the 'y  mach ) is 3.0; I don't believe the
386 version  do!that is available outside CMU yet.

The vendor info also said that Mt Xinu was demo-ing the 386 Mach, although
I didn't stop off to see whether that actually happened.  Anyone see it for
sure?  But be that as it may, it looks like they're serious a the t Mach.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com  -or-  ico!rcd          (303)449-2870
   ...Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained