Interactive 2.2 problems

Tim Brown tim at comcon.UUCP
Tue Jul 3 20:27:57 AEST 1990

In article <16996 at haddock.ima.isc.com>, trb at haddock.ima.isc.com (Andrew Tannenbaum) writes:
> I have been using beta 2.2 for several months, and it has been rock
> solid.  Several people in my office have been using released 2.2 for a
> few weeks.  2.2 is at least as fast as previous Interactive UNIX
> systems for the 386.  (I haven't checked benchmarks, but it certainly
> seems similar in speed to 2.0.2.)

Ok, try to see it from our point of view (at least mine).  We are
running along famously with 2.0.2, are putting up with some minor
problems (hoping 2.2 will fix them) not needing installation support
anymore.  Now along comes the long awaited 2.2 and we all scramble for
it, run into these problems, granted minor for the most part and we
are told we now need a support contract just to get the new version
installed!  It is not fair, I don't care how you want to defend it.
ISC is showing an attitude that seems to say, buy the product new or
buy a support contract or don't talk to us.  Upgrade at your own
risk.  You got me this time, you won't again.

> The problems that Jim Gottlieb mentions in his complaint may be
> attributed to configuration problems, I don't know, it's hard to say
> without taking a close look.  We support many different hardware

Hardware configuration isn't going to make sendmails (or rmails) refuse to die.

> Again, my 2.2 beta system runs great.  Gottlieb's system has problems,
> and I can sympathize with him, but until he understands the problems,
> it's not reasonable for him to shoot down 2.2 in public, and I would
> have preferred if I'd seen his system's problems described in a more
> explicit and evenhanded manner.  It certainly doesn't make me feel
> inclined to want to help him after I see a message that says,
> essentially, "your system is slow, I regret the fact that I upgraded, I
> want everyone to know" when I've not seen or heard of such problems
> before and I don't think he's even sure that it's a problem with our
> release.
We have been talking about mail problems "evenly" for weeks, this is
the first ISC has responded....

Tim Brown
{}!nstar!comcon!tim