Xenix vs. UNIX

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk
Sun Jul 1 07:11:29 AEST 1990

   In article <1990Jun27.232700.3046 at virtech.uucp>cpcahil at virtech.uucp
   (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

   > SCO UNIX (with its inclusion of the standard AT&T compiler) should alleviate
   > many of these problems.

   In my opinion the C compiler situation in SCO is THE most unsatisfactory
   part of the package. Including rcc (Real C) barely makes up for the

I understand that rcc stands for Register C Compiler, the successor to
pcc, the Portable C Compiler. On other versions of SystemV/386 it is
called cc.

   While I've successfully compiled gcc and xemacs with rcc, gdb would not go,

Well, with GNU software that uses alloca(), it is *vital* to turn off
the default inline procedure expansion doen by the optimizer, using
option '-W2,-y0' along with the '-O' one. I cannot imagine why ever AT&T
put in a very sophisticated optimizer that does tricky things without
documenting its zillion options.
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk