Need help installing AT&T V 3.1

Paul de Bra wsinpdb at lso.win.tue.nl
Wed Jul 11 18:25:37 AEST 1990

In article <777 at digi.lonestar.org> kcantrel at digi.lonestar.org (Keith Cantrell) writes:
>I am the proud owner of a:
>  Disk: 110Meg ESDI
>  Display: NEC 3D 1024x780 VGA
>
>I am also the owner of AT&T System 5 version 3.1 UNIX.  Unfortunately I
>cannot get the two to play together.  When I boot the ...

Nope, sVr3.2u (sVr3.2 version 2.1) is the first one that supports VGA.
I tried vanilla 3.1 and 3.2 and the do not work. 3.2u does.

>When I tell that program that I am satisfied with a setup, it seems to just
>hang.  The hard disk light does not flash, the floppy does not move,
>nothing, it just sits there like it is still waiting for something....
>So the only thing that I can think of is that version 3.1 does not support
>an ESDI drive.  Can anybody confirm that?

I tried 3.1 on an Everex 386/25 with Adaptec ESDI controller and it
worked just fine. Most (if not all) ESDI controllers look just like
ST-506 controllers to the AT-bus. The system doesn't know the difference.
But AT&T Unix may be a bit fussy about what controller you use.
Western Digital and Adaptec should be safe.
You didn't say what controller you use (or what VGA adapter). This however
is the critical information.

Paul.
(debra at research.att.com)