Interactive 2.2 problems

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at denwa.info.com
Mon Jul 2 16:01:43 AEST 1990

I have been working with 2.2 for a few days now, and I'm starting to
wonder if we should have bothered upgrading.  Some of the problems
listed below have been mentioned by others.  I repeat them for
completeness.

* Once I configure the HPDD to know about our Adaptec 1542 and Archive
  2150s tape drive, the machine will refuse to boot.  It says "Booting
  The Unix System..." but it lies.

* I told mailmgmt that we have both TCP/IP and UUCP connections and
  that I want to use smail, but only if an address ends in .UUCP does
  it send it to smail.  Otherwise, it fails with a name look-up error.
  Did someone at Interactive think that all UUCP addresses end in
  .UUCP?  I'm not a sendmail guru so I don't know how to fix this.

*  When local mail is sent, 'rmail -i username' is invoked.  The mail
   is properly delivered but the process never dies, so ps shows tons
   of 'rmail's lying around.

*  Slowness.  The system seems to be noticably slower than 2.0.2 and
   this bothers me.  Commands that used to pop something onto the
   screen immediately now pause for a second or two before doing
   anything.  Also noticably slower is video output.  We have a
   hercules adapter and whereas before when I was using 'more' or 'pg'
   the next page would almost just appear in a very fast smooth scroll,
   the screen now jerks as it scrolls a line at a time.  I was hoping
   this was just my imagination, but I now have our 2.2 machine right
   next to a 2.0.2 machine, and I now know I'm not going crazy.

As far as mail is concerned, I can't figure out why vendors never seem
to be able to get it right.  It's the one facility that almost every
Unix system user uses and yet it is screwed up more often than not.  It
must be given a real low priority.

And slowness really bugs me.  We run many voice processing applications
under 2.0.2 and I'm kind of afraid to "upgrade" them now.  Maybe
someone has a reasonable explanation.

I was really looking forward to the new release, but my joy has been
severely dampened.

The facts: AT&T 6386E (Olivetti M380/XP-5) with 16 megs of 80ns RAM
	and an AT&T mono display adapter.  135 meg (28ms) ESDI hard
	disk.

--
                              	Jim Gottlieb
E-Mail: <jimmy at denwa.info.com> or <jimmy at pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>