ISC UNIX 2.2 & tape drive

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Wed Jul 25 02:08:32 AEST 1990

In article <852 at mwtech.UUCP> I wrote:

>If scrolling of the console screen is the problem, here is some
>workaround% which would keep the tape streaming.
>
># ---------------------------------------------------------------
>some backup-program in verbose mode | awk '
[..awk script deleted..]
>'
For the "not-so-knowledgable" Unix users I should possibly add that
the verbose output of some backup-program must be redirected then from
standard error to standard output (use: 2>&1 left from the pipe symbol)
and if cpio is your backup-program you should name the output device
thru the "-O"-switch then. (If you have an older version of "cpio"
which doesn't support the "-O"-switch it is essential that 2>&1 appears
on the left side from the standard output redirection: >output-device.)

BTW: If you use "find" to collect the files for backup, you should check
if your "find" supports the "-cpio"-switch. This saves one process and the
copying of all the bytes thru a pipeline.
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin at mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83