Permuted indices

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Tue Jul 17 10:40:54 AEST 1990

In article <1235 at s8.Morgan.COM> amull at Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
> In article <1990Jul12.044550.19213 at ico.isc.com>, rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> > [...]  Seems pretty obvious to me:  Think of useful words that might have
> > something to do with the topic, look them up until you find something that
> > helps.  It's far more useful than the traditional index in one particular
> > sense: context.  For example, if you want to know how to do something to a
> > directory, it's easy to go to "directory" in the perverted index and scan
>
> More useful? Not in my experience. A permuted index is a good way to
> inflate the number of references you have to read through to get your
> hit.  [...]  I think the reason is that Bermuda indices
> put you in the linear search mode a lot more than the normal indices,
> where you stay in binary search, and fewer page faults are involved.

Huh?  Perhaps you need to re-examine the format of the permuted index; it is
alphabetical and you may therefore circumvent the linear search.  Your comments
so far seem to imply that you must spend a *great* deal of time looking up
English words in a dictionary as well.

If i want to find something in the man pages i always look in the permuted
index first and i frequently wonder why other vendors (not just for Unix
either!) don't include such a useful beast in their documentation efforts...

derek
--
Derek Terveer		det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG