Trouble with Archive 2150S & Interactive ver 2.2

Attila Nemeth attila at nmpbas.nmpcad.se
Wed Jul 25 00:51:20 AEST 1990

Does anyone know how to install an Archive 2150S streamer? I'm running
386/ix ver 2.2 on an ALR 33/386Z with Adaptec 1542 SCSI Host Adapt.

I have tried to install the drive using kconfig and HPDD. The real
strange thing is that there are no /dev files, i.e. the files /dev/tape
and /dev/ntape are missing when I have rebuilt and installed
the new kernel!!

I have also tried to make 'mknod /dev/tape c 41 8'. The file
/dev/tape is created. The problem is that tar and cpio
simply don't work.

When I try to use tar, I get the following message: tar cannot open
/dev/tape.

Using cpio gives: No such address or device.

I can see that the streamer is reset when I boot the UNIX
kernel since the green LED is flashing on the streamer.

The SCSI address on the streamer is set to 5. The
tape entries in the files mdevice and sdevice are as follows:

mdevice:
tape  ocrwi  ioc     tape_  0  41  0  1  -1

sdevice:
Y  1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0

I would really appreciate if someone could help me.