Need Help with Modems and Serial Ports

Michael P. Lindner mpl at pegasus.ATT.COM
Fri Jul 13 04:16:59 AEST 1990

I recently replaced my 8086 PC with a 80386 PC, so I can run UNIX(R)
now instead of (yuck) DOS.  My problem is this: I have a Hayes 1200
internal modem from my old PC that I want to use for UUCP.  Unfortunately,
according to the Hayes documentation, the modem card is configurable
as either COM1 or COM2, and I already have 2 serial ports on my new PC.
So, my questions are these:

1. Is there an undocumented way of getting the Hayes to be COM3?  There
   are 3 switches on the board, and the documentation from Hayes only
   describes what one of them does (selects COM1 or COM2).

2. Is there a way to get my existing serial ports moved to COM2 and COM3?
   I bought the machine second hand and don't have documentation for the
   I/O card, but it is from safer, or some such name as that (I'd have
   to look again to be sure) and has 2 serial ports, 1 parallel port, and
   lots of jumpers on it.

3. If not, should I try trading my Hayes for an external modem?  If so,
   what would you recommend (ie. in terms of proper handling of DTR, etc.
   which many of the cheaper ones don't seems to handle properly)?

4. Assuming I get some modem, somewhere, working, I need to use it to
   go out and in.  Is there some trick to getting this to work (with a
   Hayes or whatever)?  Do I need the FAS driver?  What does the FAS
   driver do that the normal asy driver doesn't?

Please e-mail responses.
Thanks in advance,
Mike Lindner
attmail!mplindner