Interactive and me - An open letter to ISC.

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Jul 14 13:29:02 AEST 1990

In article <783 at digi.lonestar.org> cfoughty at digi.lonestar.org (Cy Foughty) writes:
>shouldn't be "OS/2 vs. Unix". OS/2 is meant for general business and
>Unix for scientific and acadamic. The only reason that Unix ever
>started becoming popular in general business is that it offered low
>cost multi-tasking and networking. It did not offer user friendly-ness.

No. Unix became popular in business because it provided a non-proprietary
multi-USER system.  Until very recently (like the last 3 or so years) the
only single user multi-tasking unix boxes were the workstations (like
Suns, appollos, etc).  Note that I am not implying that these boxes
do not also provide a multi-user solution, just saying that 4 or 5 years
ago if you found a business unix system it was almost surely a
multi-user system.

Unix's big calling is that it provides a "compatible" interface over a
wide variety of hardware from pc's to mainframes.  OS/2 can't compare
in that regard.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170