Interactive and me - An open letter to ISC.

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Wed Jul 25 01:38:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul17.123023.11819 at sco.COM> jim at iggy.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) writes:

>Actually, for the real user, he/she never knows that they system has been
>serialized, since they are running some application on top of UNIX.  The
>person who is inconvenienced is the system administrator, who has an addition
>administrative task to perform.

How does this affect the ability to move the system & applications to
another machine transparently?  We generally keep spare parts and spare
machine around for critical things.  If we couldn't whip the last backup
tape onto a new machine (or copy over the network if we have a little
warning) and go on, I'd be upset, to say the least.  Do other people
have infallable hardware or can you afford to have everyone sit around
while the adminsitrator rebuilds a machine from serialized floppies?

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us