Screen blanking for SCO SYS V

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Jul 23 06:49:38 AEST 1990

In article <611 at inpnms.ROCKVILLE.DG.COM> smith at rockville.dg.com (R. Smith) writes:

| Does a screen blanking program exist for SCO's multiscreens? This blanker
| must blank the screen (or place a randomly moving entity thereon) after
| a period of inactivity. It must do this to the visible multiscreen. It must
| do this when NO ONE is logged in (i.e., a daemon process -- any other way
| requiring a constant logged-in state is fairly simple to implement but is
| NOT what I'm looking for).

  Mine is burried in another script, but let me give you the details of
how I did it, and you can roll your own in about five minutes.

1. To find the idle time on all consoles, use "who -u"

2. You're going to have to sacrifice a multiscreen. Set the cursor
   height to none with a cursor starting on line 14 and ending on line
   10. Clear the screen with a "\f" echo in the rc file, and disable the
   getty on it.

3. When you setect that the system consoles have been idle too long,
   switch to the blank multiscreen with the echo "\033[##z" where ## is
   the screen you blanked earlier.

  I switch manually lots of times, for instance if someone walks into my
office while I'm working on proprietary material, salary data,
performance appraisals, etc. ie. the blank screen is useful (to me)
without the blanker.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX