386 user-agent review and plea

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at denwa.info.com
Tue Jul 10 16:34:41 AEST 1990

I am in desperate search of a decent user-friendly front-end to our
Interactive 386 system.  The key word is 'decent'.  I have looked at
or looked into the following packages:

Directory Shell by Visix Software:  Visix is now putting all their
efforts into their "Looking Glass" product for X windowing and no
longer makes end-user or distributor sales.  They only sell in large
quantities under OEM agreements.  I also have not been able to locate
anyone at Visix who has actually used the product and can therefore
answer some questions I have.  Visix has basically said that if I send
them $495 and don't waste their time, they will send me a copy.  One
problem with Directory Shell is that it does not provide mail
notification (though there are other ways I can do that).  If after
reading this, someone who has used Directory Shell can tell me if it
would meet my needs, please do.

Menu Shell by FourGen: The brochure states that "your home directory
becomes your menu.  Programs that need to be accessed by all users
should be copied or linked into all users' home directories."  This
sounds like a kludge.

Xmenu by Telexpress: This is, overall, a very nice package.  One can
easily build new menus, and the menus it comes with cover most aspects
of system administration.  It also provides mail notification (at the
main menu).  The problem I have with it is twofold.  The change
directory function is executed (as are most sub-menus) by forking a new
shell.  You are allowed to invoke your default editor on any file, but
that is all.  There is no provision for starting a Spreadsheet or
Database program, nor can you select a file and invoke your fax program
on it.  And because this all is done in a shell, once you exit back to
the main menu, you are back at your home directory.

I would really like to find a program with at least the functionality
provided by the User Agent program on the AT&T 3B1.  This allows you to
define the type of file it is by the suffix on the file name, and
perform different actions based on this.  It provides mail
notification, and even if you are several layers deep into
sub-directories, you can still create a new file in that directory or
toggle through the on-screen windows to get back to any other window
and run a command.  All this applies to any serial terminal in addition
to the console.

Someone has mentioned that AT&T's 'face' is identical to the 3B1.  We
run Interactive so we don't have it.  Is is just for system
administration, or can it be used by all users to manage their files
and such?  I don't know if AT&T sells it separately.  I guess I could
always buy the least-expensive AT&T Unix package and then move that
command and support files to a 386.

Considering all I hear about Unix getting more and more popular in
offices, I am surprised that I can't find a good user-friendly shell.
There are sure plenty in the MS-DOG world.  I would be interested in
hearing from anybody who can suggest a product.  Thanks.

---
                              	Jim Gottlieb
E-Mail: <jimmy at denwa.info.com> or <jimmy at pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>
         V-Mail: (213) 551-7702  Fax: 478-3060  The-Real-Me: 824-5454