software piracy (was "Interactive and me")

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Fri Jul 20 06:24:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul17.121815.11752 at sco.COM> jim at iggy.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) writes:
>But software has been sold like this for years, with cottage industries to
>break the copy protection schemes.  While I don't like it, it is reality.

Not any more, it's not.  You'd be hard-pressed to find a PC application that
is copy-protected any more, other than games.  I hope SCO and ISC don't
consider Unix to be a game, but you never know.

>We have caught people installing our software on multiple machines, in
>multiple sites because they called for support and gave the same
>serialization code for the different sites/machines.

I see no reason why all of the anti-piracy goals that people have been
talking about wouldn't be served equally well by providing each customer a
card with the serial number that they could read over the phone if they
make a support call, without forcing them to type in the number when they
load the software.  A site with 100 machines would have 100 cards, but need
only one copy of the disks.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl