ISC Fix

Richard Foulk richard at pegasus.com
Mon Jul 16 09:14:23 AEST 1990

Here's part of an article I posted recently to gnu.g++.  This is
something that helped me bring up a number of packages more easily on
386/ix 2.0.2.  If someone could check and see if this is valid for ESIX
and 386/ix 2.2 I'd appreciate it.

I just brought up emacs on ISC 2.0.2 a couple days ago.  It was easier
than I expected.  I don't remember all that I did but here's a useful
tip that should simplify building a number of different packages on
these systems.  Emacs and others want an include file called sys/sioctl.h
which doesn't come with ISC Unix.  So here's how to make it:

First append the following line to /usr/include/sys/types.h:

#define SYS_TYPES_H_DEFINED

and then put the following stuff in /usr/include/sys/sioctl.h

-----------------------------cut here---------------------------
#ifndef SYS_TYPES_H_DEFINED
# include <sys/types.h>
#endif

#ifndef	QENAB
# include <sys/stream.h>
#endif

#include <sys/ptem.h>

after this, building emacs (and rn and less, etc.) was fairly easy.  For
emacs I mostly just used m-intel386.h and s-usg5-2-2.h and it went.

Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com