Unix / Dos partition problem in ISC 2.0.2

Randy Terbush randyt at asdnet.uucp
Mon Jul 16 06:45:36 AEST 1990

In <45075 at ism780c.isc.com> darryl at ism780c.isc.com (Darryl Richman) writes:

>In article <532 at dptechno.UUCP> dave at dptechno.uucp (Dave Lee) writes:
>"Help! I'm having problems getting a unix and dos partition to coexist on
>"my second hard drive.  I setup my second drive with sysadm/addharddisk.
>"I partitioned as follows:
>"	Drive 68M RLL  -- fdisk info
>"Partition	type	start	end	length
>"-----------------------------------------------
>"1		unix	1	530	530
>"2		dos	531	1022	492
>"

Other follups correctly suggest that the DOS partition should be
first.

>This is your problem.  1p0 is the *entire* second disk.  You probably want
>to use 1p2.

Wrong.  The device name should be /dev/dsk/0p0.  The release notes
incorrectly state that you should use /dev/dsk/0p1.  However, the
VP/ix manual says that you need to use 0p0.

I have noticed some peculiarities here:
mount -f DOS /dev/dsk/0p0 /dos will not work.  You must use
0p1 here.  The 'D /dev/dsk/0p0' statement in vpix.cnf mounts
the drive through VP/ix.  You CANNOT do both.

--
Randy Terbush - Advanced System Design - Boise, Idaho - Voice +1 208 342 0835
UUCP: asdnet!randyt --------------------- UNIX Workstation Design and Support