SCO Unix 3.2 version 2.0 upgrade?

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Wed Jul 25 09:01:39 AEST 1990

In article <M1JJH00.90Jul24134608 at msuws2.fed.frb.gov>
    m1jjh00 at fed.frb.gov (Jeffrey J. Hallman) writes:
>My question:  what does this mean?  Extended memory for UNIX?  Isn't
>extended memory a DOS concept?

An unfortunate choice of terms.  I think what they are trying to say is
that their memory support has been extended, and now up to 256Meg of main
memory can be handled.

The old version, according to the Jan 90 Configuration Guide was:

    The SCO UNIX System V operating system can use up to 16 Mbytes of
    real memory with a "standard" ISA, EISA or MCA computer.  Some
    system manufacturers are supporting up to 64 Mbytes of physical
    memory.  On some of those computers, SCO UNIX System V can make use
    of the entire 64 Mbytes.

(All along, the main memory beyond 1 Meg used by all unices has been the
so-called extended memory.)

I bet the folks who like to run emacs under X will be glad to have this
new feature (gratuitous flame bait).

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean