ESIX tar problem (bad checksum on directory)

rick at tmiuv0.uucp rick at tmiuv0.uucp
Thu Jul 12 21:36:15 AEST 1990

In article <5923 at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, trweil at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Weil Timothy Robert) writes:
> problem goes like this -
>
>        * ftped a socket interface library SI.TAR.Z (50K or so)
>        * uncompress fails the 1st time so, check that ulimit = 4096
>        * change ulimit = 4000000 & uncompress yields SI.TAR (3.5 Mg)
>        * try to examines files with 'tar tvf SI.TAR' & get error
>              'directory checksum error'  'bad block' ...
>
> whats next?

I can't answer that one...try EMailing uunet!zardoz!everex!esixtech or calling
1-714-259-3000 (ESIX Tech Support)

> Followup question - what is meaning of bootup dfspace message
>
>        real memory = 3800000 (or thereabouts)
>     available memory = 2200000 (or thereabouts)
>
>     * am I not getting full mileage out of 4 MB of RAM?

Well, the system can't use the area between 640K and 1M, because that's where
lots of BIOS stuff and video boards live.  That explains the "real" memory
difference.  The "available memory" (I think) refers to the amount of free
memory (from the "real" memory) that remains after the Unix kernal is loaded.
I could be wrong.

>     * is dfspace producing this message?

Nope, that's BOOT telling you the memory.  dfspace tells you the amount of
free filespace you have, and that's after all of your filesystems are mounted.

> Thanks in advance
>     trw at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
>     'No such thing as a free lunch, except sometimes'

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355 at compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"