"PANIC: kernel mode trap. Type 0x0000000E" msg in 386/ix 2.0.2 ?????

Tom Yager tyager at maxx.UUCP
Thu Jul 19 14:20:57 AEST 1990

In article <9480 at bunny.GTE.COM>, jdg0 at GTE.COM (Jose Diaz-Gonzalez) writes:
> Hi there,
>
> My machine has been crashing about twice daily for the last week or so.
> ...Now, I've run my diagnostics (I'm using an AT&T 6386E/33) and
> everything appears to be OK.  Does anyone have any idea of what a type
> 0x0000000E error means?  This might help me to narrow down the
> alternatives.   Any pointers will be appreciated.  Thanks,

I just went through a round of problems revolving around this error message.
I wish I could tell you what the problem is, but neither the vendor nor I
were able to put our fingers on it. The only thing I can tell you about my
own experience with this error is that it seems to flag a fundamental
problem with the way the system talks to memory. The system in question had
16MB of memory, 8 of which was on a 32-bit expansion card. With the card
installed, the system would panic. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after
running OK for hours. With the extra memory removed, it would hum along and
run forever.

There are probably a thousand conditions that could trigger this error, but
what you've been told so far jives with my own experience: It is a hardware
problem. See if your dealer/distributor/whoever is willing to swap your
machine for you. My problem wasn't solved until my vendor sent me a system
based on a completely different motherboard design, so you might see how
an older (25 or 20 MHz) 6386 behaves. If, that is, you can lived with the
decrease in speed.

(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE----Reviewer, UNIX World---------------+