VGA under vpix 1.2 RE: the video bios

Bill Campbell campbell at Thalatta.COM
Tue Jul 17 00:58:14 AEST 1990

In article <1941 at jwt.UUCP> john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
:In article <1290 at tuewsd.win.tue.nl> wsinpdb at lso.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:
:>The trick for Simultask (also vpix but for AT&T unix) is to uncomment the
:>lines with EGAROM and VGAROM in the vpix.cnf file (in /usr/vpix/defaults).
:
:I tried a different trick which also worked.  I booted DOS from a
:floppy, went into DEBUG, dumped the VGA BIOS at C000:0000 (32 KB worth)
:to a file which I then placed in the UNIX file system.  Making VGAROM
:point to that file, instead of the default file, worked fine.  This was
:on a clone VGA unsupported by 386/ix 1.0.6, VP/ix 1.1.0.
:--
:John W. Temples -- john at jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

There is a MUCH easier way to do this.  Comment out the ?gabio
lines in $HOME/vpix/vpix.cnv (put a ';' in the first character
position).  VP/IX will then use the on-board bios.

--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way