"PANIC: kernel mode trap. Type 0x0000000E" msg in 386/ix 2.0.2 ?????

Glen Overby overby at plains.UUCP
Fri Jul 20 02:51:54 AEST 1990

In article <9480 at bunny.GTE.COM>, jdg0 at GTE.COM (Jose Diaz-Gonzalez) writes:
> My machine has been crashing about twice daily for the last week or so.
> ...Now, I've run my diagnostics (I'm using an AT&T 6386E/33) and
> everything appears to be OK.  Does anyone have any idea of what a type
> 0x0000000E error means?  This might help me to narrow down the
> alternatives.   Any pointers will be appreciated.  Thanks,

We have a older Zenith 386 running 2.0.2 does also panic with the same
obscure error message, but only when we yank serial port plugs on our
DigiBoard COM/8.  I looked up the error code in a 386 data sheet, but that
didn't help much :-)

Our DigiBoard, one of the "dumb" ones with no CPU, is set up to use the COM2
interrupt, since COM1 is on the main CPU board.  We have talked to the
people at DigiBoard about the problem, and their solution has always been to
send us a new version of the driver (they release a new one about every two
or three months).

The panic occurs not only when we yank a port plug off, but also when our
Gandalf StarMaster gets a headache and drops carrier on all of our ports
(such as when they power it down for service, or when the power circut the
Gandalf is on goes down but ours doesn't).  It only happens once a month at
the most, so we've been living with it.  We are, obviously, using the
modem control minor devices (/dev/ttyd1[A-h] rather than /dev/ttyd1[a-h]).
The problem does NOT occur on lines without modem control.

I suspect we're fighting different fires, but this might be something to
look at.

Good Luck!
--
		Glen Overby	<overby at plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby at plains (Bitnet)