Simple X windows benchmark

Richard Foulk richard at pegasus.com
Sat Jul 28 11:40:25 AEST 1990

I'm trying to assess the performance of the various video boards and X
servers.  Here's a very simple benchmark that zeros in on one very important
aspect -- scrolling.  I'd appreciate it if those running X could try this
out and report their results.

To run the benchmark start up an xterm like this:

	xterm -geometry 80x24 -fn 8x13 +j &

then put the following awk script in a file called x-test:
-----------------------------cut here----------------------------
BEGIN {
	for (i = 0; i < 1000; i++) {
		printf("xxxxxxxxxxxxx %d\n", i);
	}
	exit;
}
-----------------------------cut here----------------------------
Run it, from the above mentioned xterm, like this:

	time awk -f x-test

and report the real time results.

One data point:

	Unix:		ISC 2.0.2 Unix
	X server:	ISC X11R3 1.0.0, Xhrc
	Resolution:	720x348x2
	Video card:	Hercules monochrome graphics clone
	Cpu:		33MHz 386 (Mylex), 128k cache, 8megs RAM
	80387:		no

	Time:		1:43

If you're running X on a 386 or 486 box please try this and post your results.

Thanks.

Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com