need to boot in single user mode

Tom Reingold tr at samadams.princeton.edu
Wed Jul 18 07:37:22 AEST 1990

My coworker left for honeymoon and the root password has apparently
been changed.  If it turns out to be he who changed it, he's gonna get
it.

I can't figure out how to boot in single user mode.  I have a login
called "install" who has "system admin privileges" while in FACE.  So
he can shutdown.  But then booting comes back into multi user mode.

Other computers I used, i.e. Suns and Pyramids, had a monitor which you
could go into by hitting a key sequence on the console.  From the
monitor, you could set boot flags for single user and other things.
How do I do the equivalent so I can get in and change the superuser
password?

This is in AT&T System V 3.2 on an AT&T 6386.
--
                                        Tom Reingold
                                        tr at samadams.princeton.edu
                                        rutgers!princeton!samadams!tr