Mail not delivered in MMDF Mail under SCO UNIX

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Tue Jul 17 00:53:54 AEST 1990

In article <7590 at gollum.twg.com> david at twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

>This "lock problem" you mention is not a problem at all.  What would
>happen if you had two processes scribbling mail into your mailbox
>at once?  Why, confusion, that's what!  In order to avoid the confusion
>MMDF locks the mailbox while it's writing to it.  Similarly, the local
>channel gives up when it can't get the lock on the mailbox.  The way
>in which it gives up leaves the message in the queue directory.

	As I've already pointed out to David (Hi, guy!) having deliver
	run as a background daemon still doesn't guarantee that the
	message will finally be delivered. I know. Every few days I
	find orphaned files in mmdf/lock/home.

	The need to lock the destination box is obvious. But it's dis-
	heartening to work with a system that can't properly post more
	than one message to a single box in rapid succession. The
	sdaemon I use (and its rmail variant) test for the presence
	of a lock file for ten seconds at one second intervals. Yet it
	posts so quickly I've YET to trip it up.