X11R4 for i386 Unix

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Fri Jul 6 11:45:14 AEST 1990

In article <PCG.90Jul5160613 at odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

>This si again the result of poor swapper/page design. I cannot believe
>that the combined working sets of your processes was larger than 2-3
>megabytes. Hey, I cannot believe that the *total* size of your
>applications was larger than that, even if xclock is rumoured to grow to
>1.3 megs of address space...

Yes, but 2-3 megs of X applications plus 1+ MB of kernel plus 1-2 MB of
other overhead software (sh, cron, init, etc) means that a 4MB system
just doesn't cut it.

For the most part, the next step up from 4MB is 8MB and then things
run pretty well.

>	X	952	248
>	xclock	152	0
>	xinit	56	0
>	xterm	208	96
>	tcsh	104	80
>	uwm	120	32
>	xterm	216	112
>	tcsh	104	104
>
>	TOTALS  1912	672

Under ISC Unix 2.2 the sizes are as follows:

	Xlvp	355 (4K pages)  (Laser View server)
	xclock	100
	xterm   141
	xterm   144
	mwm	214
	xload   116

	Total: 1070  == 4MB

not counting shells, kernel & other system overhead.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170