Interactive and me - An open letter to ISC.

Jim Sullivan jim at sco.COM
Wed Jul 18 02:30:23 AEST 1990

In article <609 at vidiot.UUCP> brown at vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>In article <1990Jul11.164044.7241 at sco.COM> jim at iggy.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) writes:
><While I do not speak for my company, only for myself, I do feel I understand the
><reasoning behind serialization codes.  People steal software and serialization
><codes are an attempt to prevent people from stealing software.
>
>What good are the keys if the person that does the installing on multiple
>machines has the key?  The key will only stop someone who rips off the software
>without managing to rip off the key code.

I did say that they are an attempt to prevent people from installing the
software on multiple machines.  I didn't say that they work.

>For the real user, it only hinders, not helping in any manner.

Actually, for the real user, he/she never knows that they system has been
serialized, since they are running some application on top of UNIX.  The
person who is inconvenienced is the system administrator, who has an addition
administrative task to perform.

--
Jim Sullivan					Youth Culture Killed My Puppy!
SCO Canada Inc. (Formerly HCR Corporation)