Interactive VGA Server

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Sun Jul 29 02:57:49 AEST 1990

In article <5351 at plains.UUCP> bakke at plains.UUCP (Jeffrey P. Bakke) writes:

>The problem occurs in that when I run xinit
>with .xinitrc:
>/usr/bin/X -2
>It comes back as:

>Cannot open /dev/ptmx : no such file or directory

>I don't know what is supposed to create the ptmx device.

This is the entry point to the clone device driver. I have not checked for
sure but I believe it is installed by the streams package, you absolutely
must install streams in order for local X to work. It may be that you just
don't have the necessary drivers configured. check /etc/conf/sdevice.d
for the files: clone, ptem, ptx, pty. Make sure they are there and that
they are marked 'Y' so they will be configured into the kernel. If not
install streams.

>I'm attempting to use the keyboard mouse driver (don't have a real mouse) so
>could that be the problem?

No, but gee, mice are so cheap these days and X will be awfully clumsy without
one I would suggest you shell out a few bucks. Also I have never seen this
keyboard driver and don't know whether or how well it would work.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not for LCC.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM