Request for advice: UNIX/386 purchase

Ravinder Dhiman dhiman at motcid.UUCP
Tue Jul 3 09:33:33 AEST 1990

rlm at ceres.physics.uiowa.edu writes:

>We are about to order a prototype 386 UNIX system for undergraduate use
>and like would some advice. Since the Department has been almost
>exclusively using VAX-VMS and PC's, we are complete novices in the UNIX
>environment, especially UNIX running on PC's. We would like to buy a
>packaged hardware-software system with good telephone support. Here are
>some details:

[text deleted]

>Does anyone have any experience with this system? Any suggestions
>about other systems we should consider? In case there is interest, I can
>post a summary.

>Thanks,

>Robert Mutel
>Department of Physics and Astronomy
>University of Iowa
>Iowa City, IA 52242

I don't have any personal experience with Mobius Computer Corp., but they are selling the
following, according to the August 1990 issue of Unix Review (page 120):

	1. 80386 or 80486 based unix workstations
	2. featuring: 1024 x 768 res., 16-inch monitor, 256 color, Interactive Systems Unix,
	3. 4MB RAM, Ethernet, SCSI (Small Computer Systems Interface) disk intf., 1 parallel port,
	   2 serial ports, 3.5" floppy, 101-key keyboard for $3694.

Mobius is in Palo Alto, CA, (413)493-7777.

Ravi Dhiman
Motorola Cellular Infrastructure Div.
Arlington Heights, IL.

P.S.  Not talking for my employer and not in any way connected with Mobius Computer Corp.