Interactive 2.2 install query

WB3FFV howardl at wb3ffv.ampr.org
Tue Jul 10 04:51:02 AEST 1990

>From article <6417 at gaboon.UUCP>, by asv at gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket):
>
>      The more I read this group the more nervous I get!
>      encountered no problems?  I'm ready for some moral boosting good news!
>
>      I think a a few positive "upgrade testimonials" would be generally
>      useful and welcome here.  (I hope they exist!)

   Hello Stan,

Well I am not sure if this is what you want to see, as I started out with
the 2.2 Workstation Developer.  I almost started with 2.0.2, but new I would
be spending additional $$$ for an upgrade in just a matter of weeks.  I did
actually convert from AT&T V/386 Release 3.2 over to Interactive since they
supported TCP/IP and NFS which I will need soon, plus they were suppose to
have a much faster file system (I have seen some improvement).

Anyway I have an 80386 system which is using the DTK PEM-3300 (33mhz)
motherboard with the DTK bios installed.  The system has 64K cache and
8 MB os main memory (thinking of going to 12).  The drive is a Miniscribe
9780E (780meg) ESDI disk with is being used with the DPT Smart-Cache
disk controller.  I am also using the Comtrol Smart-Hostess 8 port
serial controller, and the Adaptec VP150i (150meg) tape backup unit.
The viseo display is the ATI VGA-Wonder 512 and it is being used with
the Princeton ULTRA-16 monitor.

I had no problem with the 2.2 instalation, and have everything installed
except the 2K file system which I did not need.  I can't say how well the
TCP/IP and NFS system will work, as I have had the time to get it running
yet (but hope to soon).  I was very concerned about the 2.2 system, since
I saw the bad postings regarding the DTK machines (but they were on the
25mhz boxes), but since I had already ordered the 2.2 system from Interactive
I figured I might as well give it a shot.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I have managed to get the Interactive
UNIX Release 2.2 Workstation Developer up and running without a single
problem.  As of this posting it has been running for about two weeks, and
it looks like it probably stable (I hope :-).