X11R4 for i386 Unix

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Wed Jul 4 08:22:33 AEST 1990

In article <40800020 at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu> brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  8:53 pm  Jun 22, 1990 by cpcahil at virtech.uucp in uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
>|X11R3 on any of the 386 systems requires 8MB.  If you really want to
>|speed up the display (and cost is no object) get a graphics card with
>|some smarts on it (like a 34020).
>
>Connor, I believe ISC 2.0.2 with release X11R3 only requires 4mb... Of course,
>as always, the more memory the better.

The difference is "requires to work" as opposed to "requires for usefulness".
X11R3 on any 386 system with less than 8MB will force the different processes
to be swaped out.  I ran one in this configuration with only 3 xterms, an
xbiff, and an xclock.  You could hear the disk fumbling around when I moved
the mouse from window to window.

So, the moral of the story is that if you want a usable X11 386 system get
at least 8 MB of memory.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170