Questions About ESIX

Ian R. Searle ian at ssc-vax.UUCP
Sat Jul 28 03:04:45 AEST 1990

I currently run SCO UNIX and a 386/25 with 8mb RAM and 125mb RSDI
hard disk. I have both OS and DS liscenses, but I am very interested
in X-windows. Instead of upgrading SCO I am considering ESIX. Can
anybody provide answers to these questions (please e-mail). I have
tried asking resellers but I usually get non-commital, vague

For the ESIX 2-user system.

1.) I have heard it comes with X11R3, does this include X-lib and
the Xt-intrinsics so that I could do developement work.

2.) What flavor window manager and widget sets come with the system.

3.) Does the X-server support the ATI VGA wonder graphics card with
a NEC-3D (256k memory, no biult in mouse, the mouse will be a MS
serial mouse).

4.) How good are the supplied C compiler and libraries. COFF
format?

5.) Does the OS support DOS partitions on the same hard disk.

6.) Does the OS come with utilities to copy files from/to the
DOS/UNIX partitions.

7.) Does the system come with on-line man pages.

8.) I have heard many ggod things about their phone support. Can you
really talk to someone without sitting on hold for an hour??

Thanks in advance.

Ian Searle, uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!ian