Interactive VGA Server

Jeffrey P. Bakke bakke at plains.UUCP
Wed Jul 25 14:21:39 AEST 1990

I have recently download the binaries for the VGA Interactive 386ix
server for my system.  All of the files install correctly from the tar
files and other that some messy filemodes, it works.

The problem occurs in that when I run xinit
with .xinitrc:
/usr/bin/X -2
It comes back as:

Cannot open /dev/ptmx : no such file or directory

Fatal Server Bug!
Cannot establish any listening sockets.

I don't know what is supposed to create the ptmx device.  Is there something
that I missed?  I'm running at 386-33Mhz with 2 Megs of ram.  I've got
5 Megs free HD space.  The unix software is Interactive 386 v2.0.2 which is
the exact same version that the binaries were compiled for.

I'm attempting to use the keyboard mouse driver (don't have a real mouse) so
could that be the problem?  What is the /dev/ptmx?  I'm also executing
xinit via su root so that the permissions on the /dev stuff and others
should cause no problems.

What am I doing wrong?
I've also attempted to directly execute /usr/bin/X11/X but it comes back with
the same error (/dev/ptmx: etc....).  I assume X is getting exec'd from xinit.

Jeffrey P. Bakke     | Internet: bakke at plains.NoDak.edu | "Life... don't talk
2550 15th Str S #23B | UUCP    : ...!uunet!plains!bakke |  to me about life..."
Fargo, ND  58105     | BITNET  : bakke at plains.bitnet    |    - Marvin the PA