Graphic characters in Norton Utilities SYS-V

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.uucp
Mon Jul 30 09:53:10 AEST 1990

In article <1OY4DT3 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1990Jul27.165315.13531 at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>> If you hold down an
>> arrow key to make it scrolll, terminfo/curses has trouble keeping up
>> but direct writes have no problem.

>So detect that and jump-scroll. That way people on terminals (or using X,
>or using a console you don't know about, or whatever) will benefit as well.

I don't want to get into this argument proper, but the SVR3.2
ETI already has the capability to detect that it is falling
behind and to start jump scrolling to catch up.  Its actually
a little bit uglier to look at than that, but it does accomplish
the task.

Maybe I will jump in.  As long as the application still fully
supports ETI on things other than the console, I really can't
see anything wrong with making console response as snappy as
console response under, say, DOS.  Modulo the fact that the
necessary console ioctl's are totally non-portable between
the various UNIXes.  I'm going to post a programmers summary
of this situation in a few days.

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson | Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??? Ask About: |Mention
PC Research,Inc.| FaxiX - UNIX Facsimile System (tm)                   |FAX# for