Licenses and sublicenses (was Re: Interactive and me)

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Mon Jul 23 03:53:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul19.142101.26048 at pegasus.com> richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>I must admit that it has been quite some time since I've read a Unix
>license agreement.  But the ones I have read bore no resemblance to
>this description.
>
>The AT&T license is necessarily separate since it doesn't apply to the
>porters code.

	Sorry Charlie. *You* don't get the AT&T license; your vendor does.
	That license gives the vendor the right to resell based on the
	licensed code. It's sometimes called a Distribution Sub-license.

	INTERACTIVE's license, for example, includes the following statement:
	"The Software and its copyrights are owned by INTERACTIVE or its
	suppliers". And we know who at least one of those suppliers are. 8-)