Interactive port of SCO-based application

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Thu Jul 19 23:14:40 AEST 1990

In article <189 at moci.UUCP> brian at moci.UUCP (Brian R. Daleiden) writes:
>  One of our multi-platform products(UN*X, VMS, DOS, Macintosh) was
>written under SCO UNIX/XENIX. I am unfamiliar with Interactive's
>flavor. I am looking at support of our product on this OS. Can somebody
>fill me in on the differences between the two from a users view as well
>as any porting gotchas that I might run into in the process.

If you started with SCO's cc compiler, then you should be ok in porting
the stuff to Interactive.  You usually have much more problems going
the other way.

As to porting problems, as long as you don't do  any of the following you
should be ok:

	1. direct display control
	2. direct keyboard control
	3. work in the kernel (i.e. device drivers, etc)
	4. do things within the spooling system (as opposed to just lp'ing
	   the file)

At this point you have both binary and source code compatibility, so you
could just release the same binaries on the other system.

The only other exclusion for binaries is that you don't release a product
that is supposed to be recompiled/linked to, since the compiler tools on
xenix don't understand interactive objects and vice-versa.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170