Yet more questions/problems with Interactive UNIX

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Thu Jul 26 23:02:18 AEST 1990

I have Esix, not ISC so the answers may not apply but the two systems should
be similar.

In article <821 at digi.lonestar.org> kcantrel at digi.lonestar.org
(Keith Cantrell) writes:
>  1) I have been totally unsuccessful so far being able to use my second
>     serial port.  I check on the card, and it is configured as COM2 but
>     when I try to start a getty on it, all I get back is:
>
>getty: cannot open "/dev/tty01" errno: 6
Look at /etc/conf/sdevice.d/asy.  Make sure there is a Y in the second field
of the second line.  If this is changed you will have to rebuild the kernel.

>  2) In my system I have 4 meg of memory, but when I boot up I get the
>     following message:  (The numbers are correct, I am not exactly sure
>     what the verbiage said)
>
>Real memory 3801088
>Available memory 3031040
>
>     Is it really not seeing all of the 4 meg?  Am I correct in assuming
>     that the reason why all the memory is not "Available" is that the
>     kernel is taking a 770048 bytes?

This seems high but I guess it depends on what you have linked into the
kernel.  How does it compare to the size of the file /unix?

>  3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the
>     prompt.  Needless to say this is not real important, but it is real
>     annoying.

I would think that this is under the control of the shell, not the driver.

HTH

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude