Terminal Database login problem ( again )

Ken Kleiner kleiner at bu-tyng.bu.edu
Fri Jul 27 03:07:30 AEST 1990

In article <103961 at convex.convex.com> kemp at convex1.convex.com (Phil Kemp) writes:

>I caught the end of a thread last week about SCO UNIX failing to allow
>logins due to corruption of the terminal database. This bug has bite
>me twice now and I would like to know if anyone has further info on the
>details of this corruption. The first time I tried to reboot I couldn't
>get the system back up. I had to re-install from scratch. ( Well the
>base system, anyway... ). The problem has re-occurred and I am not able
>to check it out immediately. Please post as I'm not sure how well my
>mail is going to work this week :-( ....
>
>Thanks for any help

Hi,

	Well, I came across that problem in an SCO class that I was
	teaching.  All of a sudden, a student said that he couldn't
	log in.  He was getting the error 'Cant Obtain Database Info
	on this Terminal'.  It happened right after we tried
	the 'mscreen' command (some were still in mscreen).  It seems that
	there was a file called /etc/auth/system/ttys-t hanging around.
	We renamed it to something else and everything worked fine after
	that.  Is this a temp file of some sort built from
	/etc/auth/system/ttys?

	BTW, it only happens when you use mscreen.

	Anybody else seen this?

							-Ken

Ken Kleiner      <<<  {wang}{ulowell}{elrond}{decvax}!bu-tyng!kleiner  >>>
Boston University's Corporate Education Center (Computer Center)
72 Tyng Road, Tyngsboro, MA 01879       (508) 649-9731

GO RED SOX!!!!