Installing C news on System V/386 (was: Cnews under V/386)

Eric Schnoebelen eric at egsner.cirr.com
Sun Jul 22 05:32:11 AEST 1990

In article <3687 at wb3ffv.ampr.org> howardl at wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) writes:
- From article <1990Jul19.132519.22514 at virtech.uucp>, by
-				cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill):
-> In article <5662 at obdient.chi.il.us>
->				blair at obdient.chi.il.us (Doug Blair) writes:
->>We have a problem with b news 2.11.19 when compiled with the dbz package.
->
-> I don't have any info on you problem, but I will make a suggestion.  Upgrade
-> to C news.
-
-    Hello Connor  (Or any other 386 Cnews users),

        Well, I'm not Conner, but I have been using C news since the
first production release in July, 1989.  I first installed it on a
System V/286 machine, in an effort to get news working properly..  It is
now running quite well on my System V/386 machine, and continues to run
on the System V/286 machine (when it's powered up.  :-) [for the record,
'System V/286' is Microport System V/AT, version 2.4, and 'System V/386'
is Microport System V/386, version 3.0e, and Interactive 386/ix 2.0.2 ]

- I am very interested in the Cnews package, but when I tried to get it
- running one time I have a whole boat load of trouble.  I would be interested
- in any hints, patches, or ideas that anyone can offer that may help me get
- Cnews running in place of Bnews on my system.  The system configuration
- here is a 33mhz 80386 system running under Interactive UNIX Release 2.2

        The first thing to do is make sure you are picking up the
production version.  Uunet has two versions in the archives, called
'cnews' and 'cnews2'.  You want 'cnews2'.  'cnews' is an alpha release
that Henry and Geoff released a couple of years earlier..  Also make
sure you pick up all the patches.  There aren't that many real bug fixes
in them, but a lot of really good enhancements, such as dbz, are
included in the later ones.

        Basically, you can take the default answers, except the ones
that are truly Berkeley, such as symlink().  It is a good idea to have
the programmers reference (section 2/3) manuals handy while answering
the configuration questions..

        On question you must answer no to is 'Can this system do
setuid(geteuid())?'.  Other questions that need to be answered in a
particular way are the ones dealing with the OS and uucp.  For the OS
questions (where 'usg' is one of the choices) make sure you use the
'usg' answer.  On the uucp questions, you are running HDB uucp (even
though all your documentation calls it BNU - basic networking
utilities).

        Also, do not use the 'fast stdio.' I have never gotten it to
work on either System V/286 or System V/386.

        I've included the build.def file that was used on egsner to
configure and install C news.  I have edited out the site name, domain
name and organization, just on general principals..  :-)

        Enjoy, and if there are any problems, feel free to contact me..

----------------------------[cut here]--------------------------
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
newsuid="usenet"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
newsgid="news"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
binuid="bin"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
bingid="news"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
binsrc="yes"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
mess="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
unmess="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
newsarts="/usr/spool/news"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
newsctl="/usr/lib/news"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
newsbin="/usr/lib/newsbin"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
newsumask="002"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
newsmaster="usenet"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
newsconfig="/usr/lib/news/bin/config"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
chown="/bin/chown"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
chboth="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
chgrp="/bin/chgrp"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
unixkind="usg"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
addrsize="big"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
dbmopt=""
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
faststdio="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
storeval="yes"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
faststrchr="yes"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
sete="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
ranlib="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
symdef="yes"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
cc="cc"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
copts="-O"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
ldopts=""
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
postlibs="-lc_s"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
hostname="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
uname="yes"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
uucptype="hdb"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
dftype="sysv"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
dfdirs="yes"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
archive="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
spacelow="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
nfsgroup="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
server="newsie"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
manpages="/usr/man"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
manmess="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
rbin="/usr/lbin"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
doui="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
bin="/usr/lbin"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
atok="yes"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
postdefltdist=""
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
paranoid="no"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
whoami="foobar"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
mailname="foobar.nowhere.com"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
organization="Nowhere Systems"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
postdefltgroup=""
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
newspath="/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin:/usr/lbin"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
fake=" fsync.o symlink.o"
# These answers are interdependent; do not edit this file!
fakehdrs=" ../include/string.h"
Eric Schnoebelen		eric at cirr.com		schnoebe at convex.com
			"/bin/sh: Bourne in the USA"