Adaptec 1542 Kernel tuning with 386/ix

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk
Fri Jul 6 00:28:29 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul04.123903.3204 at nstar.uucp> larry at nstar.uucp (Larry
Snyder) writes:

   behm at zds-ux.UUCP (Brett Behm) writes:

   >I really do not know what to make of these results.

   I don't either.  In all cases the tests were executed on the same
   location on the disk - with NOTHING else running..

But you don't teel us the crucial details -- did you read from the raw
device, the block device, or from the filesystem? In the latter two
cases, how did you defeat the read-aheading. or ensured it was used, and
in the last ase, did you unmount/remount the filesystem before each read
to be sure to defeat the caching?

All over I see transfer rates around 300K per second. If they are thru
the filesystem it is not too bad, but I had expected better from
AHA1542, HPDD, and FFS. Something more like 5000-600 KB/sec.
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk