Conflicting interrupts!

Tom Yager tyager at maxx.UUCP
Wed Jul 11 10:42:38 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul09.230948.6385 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <520 at al.ele.tue.nl> blitter at ele.tue.nl (Paul) writes:
> >not the printer. Apparently interrupt 5 is used by gendev, what is
> >this device and can I remove that line from the configuration file
> >for gendev.
>
> From what I can see, gendev is a "pseudo" device that eats up unused
> iterrupt numbers.  I have deleted these things with no repercussions.
>
> Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.,

There is a somewhat less risky way to get rid of the gendev devices, and it's
something every new ISC installation needs to go through anyhow.

Use "kconfig", select "configure kernel," then "configure high-performance
disk driver." Even if you don't have any fancy hardware, you need to follow
this step to tune the kernel to the type of disks and controllers you have
installed. The extra interrupts are used by the generic kernel (the one on
the install diskette) so it can run without knowing your configuration in
advance. All the possible disk interrupts are reserved. Configuring the HPDD,
relinking the kernel and rebooting will solve your problem, and might boost
your performance as well.

If in doubt, follow along in your OS guide. There's a step-by-step there
that walks you through this process.

(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE----Reviewer, UNIX World---------------+
|  NET: decvax!maxx!tyager     -or-     uunet!bytepb!maxx!tyager           |