SUMMARY: porting Berkeley lpd code to sys V R3.2

Jeff Carroll carroll at bcsaic.UUCP
Fri Jul 20 06:22:28 AEST 1990

In article <27966 at bcsaic.UUCP> carroll at bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>	I would very much like to hear from anyone who has experience
>porting BSD code to system V/386. I'm trying to get lpd, lpr, lpq, et
>al. to run on our Intel 301s, which run Intel (Lachman) TCP/IP...

	In addition to the responses summarized below, I had someone
point me to the NCSA Telnet sources on tacky.cs.olemiss.edu. I'm not
going to try that port yet...

	As indicated below, source for "System V-ized" lpr is allegedly
available for anonymous ftp on acm.rpi.edu, though I haven't been able
to reach the ftp server on this machine. If anyone knows where else this
code can be found, I'd love to know about it.

	I don't have a working solution yet, but I am just now getting
around to answering all the email I elicited. Thanks to all who
responded!

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll at atc.boeing.com
>From skl at wimsey.bc.ca Sun Jul 15 03:13:17 1990

I have done some porting of the BSD TCP/IP code to Xenix/V 386,
which "claims" to be System V compatible.

From: Arthur L. Martin <uw-beaver!rutgers!pawl.rpi.edu!night>
>	How big a job is this?

I rather big one.  I made a couple of attempts at it and gave up.
However, I did run across a SysV port of lpr on an anonymous ftp
site.  I don't remember the site offhand, but I still have the
package lying around.  I can make it available for anonymous ftp
if you like.

Trip Martin
night at pawl.rpi.edu

From: uw-beaver!ames!daver.bungi.com!dlr (Dave Rand)

I have done this for 386/ix. If you would like the diffs, please let
me know!

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|mips|sun|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr at daver.bungi.com

From: Paul Nulsen (some horrible bang-path addr that I accidentally
deleted)

A port has been done. It was announced recently by dlr at daver.bungi.com (Dave
Rand). I have copies of the diff files he provided.

Regards,
Paul Nulsen
pejn at wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au

From: hitachi!jon at uunet.UU.NET (Jon Ryshpan)
>	The larger goal is to enable our Vax running WIN/TCP or MultiNet
>to act as a print server for the 301s.

We do it with the this kluge.  The following shell script is the
"interface" in the SysV spooler system.  You also have to create a file
to be the printer for the spooler destination; /dev/null doesn't seem
to work, so we have a file called DUMMY in a convenient location.
Actually the file is /usr/spool/lp/DUMMY.  The only problem is that
each user who wants to print has to have an account on the vax.  Here
is the script:

#
# lp interface for submission to the vax for reprinting.
#

copies=$4
shift; shift; shift; shift; shift
files="$*"
i=1
while [ $i -le $copies ]
do
	for file in $files
	do cat "$1" | /usr/ucb/rsh vax lpr -P lsiNTX
	done
	i=`expr $i + 1`
done
exit 0
--

Many Thanks:

Jonathan Ryshpan		<...!uunet!hitachi!jon>

M/S 420				(415) 244-7369
Hitachi America Ltd.
2000 Sierra Pt. Pkwy.
Brisbane CA 94005-1819

From: night at pawl.rpi.edu (Trip Martin)

Okay, I've made lpr available on clotho.acm.rpi.edu (128.113.10.204) in
~ftp/pub/lpr.tar.Z.  Enjoy!

Trip Martin
night at pawl.rpi.edu

(NOTE: I have been unable to raise this host via FTP. Anybody know more
about this code? jkc)

From: uw-beaver!rutgers!leonardo.intel.com!davidl (David D. Levine)

If you can wait a while for System V Release 4, there's a REAL easy way...
BSD compatibility and the BSD lp* utilities are BUILT INTO Release 4...
Contact your local Intel salesthing for details.

- David D. Levine, Intel IMSO Tech Pubs
  davidl at leonardo.intel.com
  "Think of it as evolution in action."

From: Stan Stead <stan at anes.ucla.edu>

	I have ported the lp* BSD code to a SysV Stardent computer.  It was
greatly facilitated by porting the BSD libraries.  I have not tried to do
the port to an SCO SysV/386 but I assume that without the libraries,
it would be EXTREMELY difficult.
	Stan

From: David Fetrow <fetrow at milton.u.washington.edu>

 I don't know but, around here where we have similar problems, they bit the
bullet and wrote printer code for everything. All the systems can use "prt"
and the files are printer from VMS printer demons. The code, is howvere, a
tad bit ugly.

 I think most of it is available via anonymous FTP.

 -dave fetrow-                     fetrow at bones.biostat.washington.edu
 dfetrow at uwalocke (bitnet)         {uunet}!uw-beaver!uw-entropy!fetrow

I am looking for a port of the BSD lpd code for a ATT UNIX 386 PC.  I was
wondering if you had any answers about this??  I figure somebody must have
done it by now.

Thanks,
Sonya
Canstar                                UUCP: {utai,utzoo,ncrcan}!canstar!sonya
3900 Victoria Park Ave.               other: sonya%canstar at utai.toronto.edu
North York, ON  L3T 3T3               Phone: (416) 756-4100 x258
Canada                                  Fax: (416) 756-3990

From: scocan!larryp at uunet.uu.net

I did it a while ago.  However, I could not overcome the inertia of
the company, and the Systems department never installed it.  As such
it has not been heavily tested, in particular, I do not guarantee that
all commands even work (I gave up to early), but I was able to submit
jobs over the net.  I also never got to the stage of investigating what
filters I needed, or how to set them up.  You are welcome to the code
if you want it.

I was porting to ISC 386/ix 1.0.6, using ISC's version of TCP.  You can
be sure some of the include files will be in different places, although
things should indeed work.

I defined a compat.h and a compat.c.  Lots of defines, and where necessary
I snaged BSD subroutines and stuffed them in compat.c.  I also wrote SYSV
emulations of flock, truncate and the like.

---
Larry Philps,	 SCO Canada, Inc (Formerly: HCR Corporation)
Postman:  130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor, Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
InterNet: larryp at sco.COM  or larryp%scocan at uunet.uu.net
UUCP:	 {uunet,utcsri,sco}!scocan!larryp
Phone:	 (416) 922-1937
Fax:	 (416) 922-8397

From: uw-beaver!harvard!uunet.UU.NET!munnari!ipso.rss.ips.oz.au!craigb (Craig Bevins)

It has already been done.  I have the patches and I can send them to you
if you haven't already found a solution.

Craig.