Obscure Vi bug?

Rick Jones rick at tetrauk.UUCP
Wed Jul 25 20:53:46 AEST 1990

In article <846 at mwtech.UUCP> martin at mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
>In article <798 at intelhf.hf.intel.com> fredch at starlite.hf.intel.com () writes:
>>Has anyone else experienced this?  I have AT&T/Intel Unix V/386 on my box:
>>
>>Take a 50 line file (not sure if 50-line specific, but that's where I found it).
>>Go to 2 lines below the bottom line using the G command.  For example, under
>>TERM=xterm, go to line 25; under TERM=AT386 or TERM=vtpc, go to line 26.
>>Then type ^B.  It will beep.  Then, type j.  Suddenly the current line will
>>be copied onto line 1, and your file just got modified.
>
>Just tried this with ISC 386/ix 2.0.2 and SCO XENIX V. Same bug here.

I can confirm this happens with SCO Unix, too (ODT version, at least).

On this subject, this version has another annoying bug, involving the use of p
or P in macros.  E.g. I use a key mapping to swap adjacent characters, which is
the sequence xph (the h keeps the cursor in the same position).  As a macro,
the h gets inserted into the text!  This happens in any macro using p or P
followed by other characters, all the subsequent characters get inserted, not
obeyed as commands.  Lots of macros won't work because of this, including the
wonderful word-completion macro recently posted in comp.editors.

Is this unique to the SCO version of vi?  And will someone at SCO please fix
it.

--
Rick Jones					You gotta stand for something
Tetra Ltd.  Maidenhead, Berks			Or you'll fall for anything