2.11.19 w/dbz not rejecting articles

Karl Lehenbauer karl at ficc.ferranti.com
Sun Jul 22 09:24:38 AEST 1990

In article <5662 at obdient.chi.il.us> blair at obdient.chi.il.us (Doug Blair) writes:
>We have a problem with b news 2.11.19 when compiled with the dbz package.
>inews and expire run fast, but duplicate copies of articles (with the
>same article id in <>'s) are not rejected and are instead inserted twice
>into our spooldir.

I have determined the cause of this problem.  I had to learn way more about the
internals of news than I ever wanted to, but the problem is the optimizer of the
C compiler.  I forget which news source file it is, but when used with dbz
(System V/386 3.0 and 3.2) it screws up a calling argument and causes trashed
article ID's to be written into the dbz database.  Then, whenever the same
duplicate article is presented, it isn't found in the database, so news treats
it as a new article.

The lazy fix, at least for a test, is to compile news without optimization.
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl  	"I am here by the will of the people and I won't leave
   uunet!sugar!karl	 until I get my raincoat back." -- Metrophage