Interactive 2.2 problems

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at denwa.info.com
Tue Jul 3 07:52:57 AEST 1990

After posting my recent impression of Interactive 2.2 being horribly
slow, I  decided to do a simple unofficial comparison between 2.2 and
2.0.2.

I know this isn't scientific but it gives an idea.  I started 10 yes(1)
programs in the background and immediately ran a 'ps -ef'.  The
following is how long each machine took to finish giving the ps(1)
reseults.

6386E with 4 meg of RAM and 2.0.2:	6 seconds
6386E with 16 meg of RAM and 2.2:      31 seconds

Both machines were not heavily loaded at the time.  In fact, I was the
only user on either, and if anything the 2.0.2 machine was more loaded
as it was running 24 channels of voice mail when I ran this test and
still came out much quicker.  Also note the RAM difference.  When I
tried running the voice mail on the 2.2 machine, the hard disk light
stayed on constantly and it tooked 20 seconds just to get a Password:
prompt after entering my login.

At Interactive Hollis's suggestion, I tried boosting NPROC and NBUF
with no noticable difference.

Do I just have a bad copy, or is something wrong with the release?
I'm hoping it's something simple like a tunable parameter is wrong,
but...