"PANIC: kernel mode trap. Type 0x0000000E" msg in 386/ix 2.0.2 ?????

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.UUCP
Wed Jul 18 12:31:22 AEST 1990

In article <9480 at bunny.GTE.COM> jdg0 at GTE.COM (Jose Diaz-Gonzalez) writes:
>Hi there,
>
>My machine has been crashing about twice daily for the last week or so.
>The msg in the subject line shows up with all the register contents just
>before it crashes.  I have contacted my vendor, they contacted ISC, and
>all they were able to tell me was that it the problem is a hardware
>error.

On what basis?  If they can confidently make such a statement, they
should have a clue as to WHICH piece of hardware is the culprit...

>        Now, I've run my diagnostics (I'm using an AT&T 6386E/33) and
>everything appears to be OK.

Don't count on it -- those diags aren't very complete.  (At least you GOT
some -- I'm STILL waiting for the diag disks for the machines we bought
in December!  I have one set from our sales rep to tide me over...)

For example, the don't provide diags for all peripherals, the POST memory
diags are hosed, etc.

>                              Does anyone have any idea of what a type
>0x0000000E error means?  This might help me to narrow down the
>alternatives.   Any pointers will be appreciated.  Thanks,

I'm no kernel hacker, but I have seen this error when DMA was attempted
on two channels simultaneously when DMAEXCL was set at default.  Do you
use >1 device that uses DMA?  (Cartridge drives, caching controllers, etc.)
Otherwise, it may help to list all of the hardware in use.

>+	Jose Pedro Diaz-Gonzalez

Cross-posted to comp.sys.att in case the helpful folks there have
add'l info.  Followups to comp.unix.i386.

--
Alan Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.          "We're homeward bound
aland at informix.com  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland   ('tis a damn fine sound!)