copy protection, authorization

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Sat Jul 14 07:16:04 AEST 1990

In order for people just tuning in to understand, let's note that the new
Interactive release (2.2) is *not* copy-protected.  The term "copy
protection" conventionally refers to writing the media (diskettes) in some
unusual format which prevents them from being read by a normal drive/driver
combination.  Usually, the strongest objection to copy protection is that
it prevents making a backup copy of the media.

Again, the 2.2 media are *not* copy-protected; they *can* be read as normal
diskettes.  The license for the software contains an explicit provision
allowing you to make a copy for backup purposes.

What *has* been done is to add an authorization step during installation:
You must enter the serial number of your software (which is printed on the
diskettes) and also enter an "authorization key" (which is printed on a
separate card supplied to you; the card also contains the serial number)
before installation will proceed.

I understand that the authorization-key tracking can be anything from a
minor nuisance to a major problem, depending on circumstances.  I'm not
going to enter the public fray on that one.  (Yes, of course I have
opinions!  But I work for ISC; almost any opinion I'd express would be
out of place here.)  I just want people to be discussing and making their
decisions based on the authorization-keying, not on an incorrect assumption
that it's copy-protected.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com  -or-  ico!rcd          (303)449-2870
   ...Reality is neat!  It works even if you don't believe in it!