Lotus 1-2-3 was compiled with GNU C compiler!?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Jul 15 12:49:02 AEST 1990

 >>Yea, I was just asked to port some stuff to the DG AViiON and guess
 >>what, gcc is the C compiler that comes with DG's unix.  What ever happened
 >>to all the copyleft concerns?  Does this mean the source to lotus 123
 >>and all of unix (at least DG's version) is now in the public domain?
 >
 >I believe DG supplies GCC with a DG-written gnulib, that
 >is not covered by the copyleft.

Or, to put it another way, "just because something is *compiled* with
GCC doesn't mean it's GNUware; it has to include GNU code directly, not
assembly-language code extruded by GCC."

(I don't know what "gnulib" is, but they probably provide an
AT&T-and-Berkeley-and-DG-and-assorted-other-people-written "libc", just
like most other UNIX vendors.)