Shadow RAM with UNIX

micha at ixos micha at ixos
Tue Jul 17 17:50:05 AEST 1990

John Wilkes wrote:

> 5. What is "shadow ram" and do I want it enabled?  As I said, I am new to
> i386 based systems, and I'm blissfully ignorant of the MS-DOS world.
> Anyone who wishes to contribute to my education will earn my undying
> gratitude.
>
> John Wilkes
>
> wilkes at mips.com   -OR-   {ames, decwrl, pyramid}!mips!wilkes

Shadow RAM is an hardware possibility to copy the slow ROM (e.g.
System-BIOS, VGA-BIOS) into fast RAM, deactivate the ROM and activate
the RAM write protected.

This is only useful for operating systems wich are using the BIOS
like MS-DOS. Under UNIX *all* BIOS is disabled. All activities are
made by device drivers. The amount of memory, normally 256 or 384K
is *lost*, so Shadow-RAM with UNIX is useless.

Micha

#include "sys/disclaimer.h"   +   No Paulaner ad anymore.
			      +
micha at ixos.uucp               +
archive-server at unido.uucp     +