Real time unix

Larry Williamson larry at focsys.uucp
Sat Jul 28 05:03:10 AEST 1990

An excellent package is produced by VenturCom in the US. They use
Interactive's Unix (2.0.2) as the basis and then add a driver and
modify a couple of kernel functions to provide the real time response.
They call their system RTX (They may have recently started to call it
Venix/386, but I'm not sure).

Some additional features they have included are:

. millisecond timers
. direct physical memory access from user processes
. direct io port access from user processes
. Very fast interrupt response time
. Memory locking
. Real time synchronization
. Asynchronous I/O
. High performance file system

We have had no compatiblity problems with any application we've run
with this system. It is as pure Interactive Unix System V 3.2 as you
can get.

They have some excellent documentation on performance metrics for
their system.

Price is pretty good too. I don't know what it will cost you in
Europe.

I normally talk with Kara Phelan.

VenturCom
Cambridge, Mass.