SCO-ISC Serial Numbers

Rob Peglar rpeglar at csinc.UUCP
Mon Jul 16 23:24:09 AEST 1990

In article <3194 at rsiatl.UUCP>, karl at rsiatl.UUCP (Karl Klingman) writes:

> First SCO and then Interactive decided to practice the old rule:
> "Do unto others BEFORE they do unto you."  I find this sort of behavior
> repugnant.  I have had to install both systems for companies that I have
> worked for and I find it to be a pain to have to deal with a bunch of
> printed labels every time I want to install a package or call for support.
>
> The real solution for both of these companies is simply: If you find a
                                                                  ^^^^
> company stealing your software, sue or prosecute them.  Don't make the
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Disclaimer, I'm not trying to pass judgement on whether software serialization
is a "good thing".

Your message is clear enough, but how do you propose to implement "find"?
The Software Police?

Also, what is "stealing your software"?  The law(s) have to clearly define
what "stealing software" is, and also "your software".  Also, whom does one
sue?  The dealer?  The manufacturer?  The holder of the trademark?

It's just too messy for words.  The only group of people who will enjoy
such actions are the lawyers.

Rob
--
Rob Peglar	Comtrol Corp.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
		A Control Systems Company	(800) 926-6876

...uunet!csinc!rpeglar